As the summer approaches, we encourage our educators and allies to take time to rest and recharge. Below is a reading list curated by educator and mindfulness consultant Crystal McCreary to support you to relax, renew, and thrive.
The Mindfulness Reading List
- Mindfulness for Beginners: Reclaiming the Present Moment-and Your Life, Jon Kabat- Zinn
- When the Body Says No: Exploring the Stress-Disease Connection, Gabor Mate M.D.
- Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee, Rodney Yee & Nina Zolotow
- The Mindfulness Coloring Book: Anti-Stress Art Therapy for Busy People (The Mindfulness Coloring Series), Emma Farrarons
- The Relaxation Response, Herbert Benson M.D.
- Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times, Judith Hanson Lasater Ph.D.
- Thrive, Ariana Huffington
- Mindful Schools, www.mindfulschools.org (Mindful Fundamentals, online course)
- www.crystalmccrearyyoga.com (public yoga classes, retreats, professional development workshops)
- No Drama Discipline, Daniel Siegel
- Smart Moves, Carla Hanaford, M.D.
The following resources have been developed for you to simplify the process of finding local health and wellness resources. They include agencies, organizations, and individual mental health professionals. You are responsible for researching professionals to find the best professional to meets your needs.
Mental Health Resource Lists (COMING SOON!)
- Brooklyn Resources
- Manhattan Resources
The lists contain individuals that former and current Teach For America staff and corps members may have used or know; however, individual providers and resources in theses lists are not endorsed or recommended in any way by Teach For America. Teach For America has neither screened nor evaluated any of these individuals, groups or services.
Center for Clinical Interventions: The Center for Clinical Interventions has free resources to help walk you through many personal growth or mental health challenges. These are great for personal use, in your classroom, and with youth.